Maybe it's the cold weather, maybe it's the fact that I have been stressed and in need of some comfort food (but my National Exam is over woo hoo!) but I have been CRAVING something smothered in gravy. So last Sunday when we were planning our meals for the week I planned for Mashed Potatoes with steam vegetables smothered in Vegetable Gravy ...YUMMY!
Enter Golden Mushroom Gravy
adapted from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes
1 tbsp EVOO (I eyeball it)
half a large onion chopped
1 cup cooked or can chickpeas (rinsed and drained if using canned)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
7-8 large white mushrooms sliced (recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups )
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried savory
1/2 tsp dried sage
salt and fresh pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan heat the oil (medium heat) then add the onion, cover, and cook until soft. Then add the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth.
2. Place that mixture into a blender (or if your lucky a food processor). Blend until smooth and set the mixture aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat combine the mushrooms and remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to low heat and add the chickpea and onion mixture. Add the spices (thyme, savory, and sage) and salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly to blend the ingredients.
5. Remove from heat and serve. (This recipe should keep for 2-3 days in a sealed container in the fridge)
We put this delish gravy on our mashed potatoes and steamed peppers and broccoli but you could put it on just about anything. It is such a creamy, hearty gravy . It is full of protein (from the chickpeas) and the sliced mushrooms add a whole another layer of yum!
The best part? It is healthy without sacrificing taste. No worries about enjoying every last bit of this gravy!
We are even planning on making this gravy for Thanksgiving Dinner!
What have you been craving now that the weather is chilly?
linked up with: http://craftomaniac.blogspot.com/, http://www.homemakeronadime.com/, http://www.marvelouslymessy.com/, http://www.iheartnaptime.net/2011/11/link-party-3/